Roasted Carrot, Fennel & Apple Soup
1 lb carrots (cleaned and cut into 1" pieces)
2 med. apples (peeled, cored and cut into 16 wedges)
1 sm/med fennel bulb (white part only, cut into wedges)
1 clove garlic (finely minced)
1 tablespoon ginger (grated)
3-1/2 cups chicken stock
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
2. Place carrots, apples and fennel onto baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Make sure to coat pieces evenly with oil. Bake in oven for 45 - 60 minutes. Carrots should be still somewhat firm, but apple and fennel will be soft.
3. Remove carrots, apple and fennel from oven and put into large saucepan (include the oil from the pan as well). Add garlic and ginger and large pinch of kosher salt to saucepan. Pour chicken stock over vegetables. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Transfer contents of saucepan to blender, in batches and puree until smooth. (Be careful blending hot liquids.) Add more chicken stock to thin out soup to desired consistency.
(I just use an immersion blender and blend it all in the pot)
5. Ladle into bowls and garnish with dried cranberries, crumbled goat cheese, walnuts, croutons or any combinations of these.